This Saturday June 17, CJSW and the Calgary community will celebrate Neighbour Day in fine form with the grand opening of the Beltline Community Hub in the historic McHugh house. To celebrate, in partnership with the Beltline Neighbourhoods Association, we’re hosting a fun-filled afternoon of live music, DJs, activities and so much more to celebrate this exciting and inclusive all-ages venue. For full details, check out our Facebook event here.
Why does Neighbour Day matter?
Every year on the third Saturday of June, Calgarians gather together to “celebrate our neighbourliness and strong community spirit” by hosting events, picnics, shows and all sorts of friendly fun. After the overwhelming community response to the floods in 2013, the city decided to bring the community together annually to celebrate the spirit of being neighbours. The goal of Neighbour Day is to encourage community and friendly neighbourhood love across our wonderful city. We hope the McHugh House grand opening on Saturday will do all that and more.
What is the McHugh House?
The McHugh House is the sixth oldest house in Calgary. After original owners sold the house’s site for redevelopment, the city moved it to a park on the corner of Centre St. and 17th Ave in 2014. This year, the Beltline Neighbourhoods Association announced they would lease the space. CJSW will partner with the Beltline to program all-ages shows in the space. We also will operate our all-ages gear loan program — a stretch goal of last year’s Funding Drive — out of the space and bring the joys of radio to all generations.
“It’s really tough right now in Calgary for youth artists to find a space to perform. Really, the only spaces are bars where you have to be 18,” Beltline Neighbourhoods Association president Peter Oliver told the CBC when the partnership was announced. “This fills that missing void where you can have all-ages shows and events.”
We’re excited for a summer full of great programming out of the McHugh. Stay tuned for information on all of the good stuff to come!
What can you expect at our big Neighbour Day bash?
You can expect a full day of all-ages neighbourly fun! Check out our Facebook event for to-the-minute updates.
OUTSIDE THE HOUSE
11:00AM – CGSW – Fusion and spiritual jazz coming from this seemingly prolific combo.
11:45AM – Cowtown Opera – signature artistic company of Calgary, surprising audiences with cheeky, English-language interpretations of operatic classics, remarkable vocal calibre, and daring new projects.
12:00PM – McHugh House Grand Opening Ceremony – Join us along with Mayor Nenshi, Ward 8 Councillor Evan Woolley, Calgary-Buffalo MLA Minister Kathleen Ganley and Calgary-Centre MP Minister Kent Hehr for some short words as we officially open the McHugh House Beltline Community Hub.
1:00PM – Pre Nup – Pop punk and power pop, just like when u wer yung.
2:00PM – Manaray – Spiritually inclined drug induced alternative rock music.
INSIDE THE HOUSE:
11:00AM – DJ Kendra Scanlon (What Will the Neighbours Think) – House beats and future bass guaranteed to make you wanna dance.
12:30PM – Karen Gummo – Local historian and storyteller on JJ McHugh and family.
1:00PM – DJ Jamal Hamadeh (Freshly Squeezed) – Sit back, relax, and let these rhythms soothe your soul.
2:00PM – DJ Diana (Hive Mind) – Dystopian beats and industrial jams. Welcome to the Hivemind!
• Last Best Brewing & Distilling will be serving up delicious food in the park (11AM-2PM).
• Memorial Park Library Musical Instrument Lending Library. Try out a selection of musical instruments from this newly opened gem in the Beltline. Inside the house, 2nd floor.
• Historic photo exhibition on the McHugh House, brought to you by the Calgary Foundation and the Glenbow. Inside the house.
• Open Streets Calgary. Try out Open Streets’ pedal power bikes!
• Good Life Community Bikes, everybody’s favourite community bike shop.
FOOD AND DRINK:
• Last Best Brewing & Distilling will be serving up delicious food in the park (11:00 a.m – 2:00 p.m.).
• Avec Bistro, one of the best bistros in town will be in the park to satisfy your sweet tooth.
• Made by Marcus Ice Cream handcrafted ice cream made right here in the Beltline.
• Kaffeeklatsch cold brew coffee available for purchase in the park.
• Wild Tea Kombucha available for purchase in the park. Brewed in small batches by hand in Calgary and flavoured using fresh pressed juices for bold, cocktail inspired flavours!
A major thank you to our event sponsors for helping us launch the exciting new McHugh House Community Hub and host the first ever Neighbour Day for the Beltline!
• THE CITY OF CALGARY & WARD 8 COUNCILLOR EVAN WOOLLEY
• THE CALGARY FOUNDATION
• KENT HEHR, MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT FOR CALGARY-CENTRE
• SERVUS CREDIT UNION
• PK SOUND