CJSW Radio is looking for a Music & Performance Director to handle all the operations of the Music Department at CJSW Radio, the University of Calgary Student Radio Society. CJSW is one of Canada’s most established and respected campus/community radio stations and is a crucial part of the local music community.
The successful candidate for the Music & Performance Director position must be passionate and knowledgeable about a wide range of music. The position requires dedication and capacity for work that ranges from individual efforts to team projects. The reward is making a palpable difference in the music community and evolving the legacy of CJSW’s unmistakable sound.
- Oversee the intake and creation of CJSW’s weekly new release section (chartlist) and compile charts of top CJSW plays
- Train, manage and support volunteers and seasonal staff in all aspects of the Music Department
- Stay current with music trends in a multitude of genres
- Oversee and maintain an expansive digital and physical library
- Work with the Programming Department to develop the sound of CJSW
- Collaborate with local musicians to promote and distribute their projects on CJSW and with other Canadian campus and community radio stations
- Schedule and coordinate live performances in the CJSW studios
- Engineer live performances and capture and edit live video content
- Maintain CJSW’s YouTube page and other social media support
- Oversee communications with artists and promotional/record label representatives
- Other duties as assigned
- An understanding and appreciation of all aspects of campus / community radio and a knowledge and passion for all varieties of non-commercial music
- Involvement and passion for the music community of Calgary and area
- Proficiency in a Mac environment
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (especially Excel), Google Docs and iTunes are essential
- Described as an open-minded individual, creative thinker and excellent communicator
- Progressive and collaborative attitude, multi-tasking, adaptability and superior organization skills are a must
- Experience with DJ software and media management is an asset
- Knowledge of Logic Pro X, Adobe Creative Suite, Airtable and video editing software is an asset
- Sound engineering and video production experience are assets
- Volunteer management experience is an asset
- Self-driven to learn and master new technologies
- On-air radio experience is an asset
- A post-secondary education is an asset
In return for your time and talents, we offer a fun, unique environment working with a high-performing team of staff and volunteers, a decent salary and some lovely benefits.
Please submit your cover letter and resume in a single PDF file titled “Music & Performance Director – Your Name“. Applications can be submitted by email to CJSW Station Manager at [email protected]. The deadline to apply is Monday, March 22nd at 12:00 pm.
Position Start Date: As soon as possible.
CJSW is an equal opportunity employer. Everyone is thanked for applying; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CJSW Radio broadcasts out of Moh’kins’tsis (Calgary, AB) at the University of Calgary campus radio station located on Treaty 7 land. CJSW would like to acknowledge the traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta, which includes the Blackfoot Confederacy (comprised of the Siksika, Piikani, and Kainai First Nations), the Tsuut’ina First Nation, and the Stoney Nakoda (including the Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley First Nations). The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III. CJSW would also like to note that the University of Calgary is situated on land adjacent to where the Bow River meets the Elbow River, and that the traditional Blackfoot name of this place is “Moh’kins’tsis”, which we now call the City of Calgary.