CJSW Radio, the University of Calgary Student Radio Society, is looking for a News Director to maintain the news and spoken word department at the station, one of Canada’s most established and respected campus/community radio stations.
The successful candidate for the News Director position should have a thorough knowledge and appreciation for audio creation and community-oriented organizations.
– Training volunteers of varying experience in every aspect of producing news and spoken word radio.
– Developing and regularly reviewing CJSW’s spoken word manuals and guidelines.
– Coordinating Production of CJSW’s weekly pre-recorded spoken word programs including “CJSW Presents…”.
– Regularly conducting on-air interviews and leading workshops/training sessions for interviews.
– Assisting in the production of weekly live spoken word programming.
– Evaluating existing CJSW programs and developing new ones.
– Ensuring CRTC spoken word regulations are met.
– Posting spoken word content to cjsw.com, iTunes and Soundcloud.
– Promoting CJSW’s spoken word content and encouraging new volunteers via Facebook, Twitter, etc.
– Leading a team of volunteers to produce special programming (election coverage, documentaries, etc.)
– An understanding and appreciation of all aspects of campus/community radio and a knowledge of all varieties of non-commercial news and spoken word radio.
– Ability to critically assess potential news stories and interviews in an ethical and timely manner.
– Self-motivated and willing to initiate projects.
– Experience with audio editing software is essential.
– Experience being on-air and working with volunteers.
– Described as an open minded individual, creative thinker and excellent communicator.
– Progressive attitude, good stress management, multi-tasking and organization skills are a must.
– Experience with Adobe Creative Suite an asset.
– Familiarity with various social media platforms.
– Web development experience is an asset.
– A post-secondary education is an asset.
In return for your extraordinary talents we offer a fun, one-of-a-kind environment, a starting salary of $37,500 and some lovely benefits.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, May 11, 2016
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to [email protected].
CJSW is an equal opportunity employer. Everyone is thanked for applying; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.