CJSW Radio, the University of Calgary Student Radio Society, is looking for a Spoken Word Coordinator to oversee the news and spoken word department at the station, one of Canada’s most established and respected campus/community radio stations.
The successful candidate for the Spoken Word Coordinator position should have a thorough knowledge and broad appreciation for all types of and styles of original content creation.
Duties & responsibilities:
– Reports to the Program Director
– Train volunteers of varying experience in every aspect of producing broadcast-worthy content
– Develop spoken word and news content for FM broadcast and online exclusive broadcast
– Develop ideas and coordinating production of CJSW’s pre-recorded original content programming
– Act as liaison between CJSW and campus and community partners to develop content opportunities
– Assist in the production of original content
– Evaluate existing CJSW programs and developing new content ideas with volunteers and staff
– Ensure CRTC regulations are met and best journalistic practices are present in all spoken word content
– Post content to cjsw.com, iTunes and Soundcloud
– Promote syndication of CJSW’s original content for use by other organizations
– Engage and lead volunteers to produce specialty programming (election coverage, documentaries, etc.)
– Other duties as assigned
– A comprehensive understanding and appreciation of campus/community radio and a deep knowledge of all varieties of non-commercial news and spoken word radio/podcasting
– Ability to critically assess potential news stories and interviews in an ethical and timely manner
– journalism training/experience and documentary production experience are assets
Self-motivated and willing to initiate and projects
– Experience with Logic audio editing software is essential
– Experience working with and inspiring volunteers to create informative and entertaining programming
– Being an open-minded individual, creative thinker and excellent communicator
– A progressive attitude, good stress management, multi-tasking and organization skills are a must
– Experience with Adobe Creative Suite an asset
– Familiarity with various social media platforms is an asset
– Web development experience is an asset
– A post-secondary education is an asset
In return for your extraordinary talents we offer a fun, one-of-a-kind environment, a decent salary and some lovely benefits.
Application Deadline: Monday, July 9th, 2018
Position Start Date: As soon as possible
Please apply by sending your resume, cover letter, and links to three separate pieces of audio produced by the applicant to [email protected] under the message title of “Spoken Word Coordinator Job Posting”.
CJSW 90.9FM broadcasts from Treaty 7 Territory. We are grateful to be on the traditional territory of the Blackfoot, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, and the Kainai. Treaty 7 is also home to the Tsuut’ina, the Stoney Nakoda and Métis Nation of Alberta (Region III).